[NatureNS] Lapland Longspurs and trees

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 02:02:41 +0000

--_c025cf56-bc65-46c3-89b1-4c60082d1cf2_

This might be a topic for further discussion=2C but until yesterday=2C I wo=
uld not have thought that Lapland longspurs would land in a tree.  I've nev=
er seen them other than on open fields or in areas where vegetation was pre=
sent until yesterday.  Some longspurs flew up with sparrows from the dunes =
into trees on a little island spit in the middle of the beach at Cherry Hil=
l.  I knew that they were longspurs as I got a look at them before flight a=
nd watched them through my scope for quite some time=2C determining also th=
at these were juvenile birds.  Has anyone else ever seen a longspur land in=
 vegetation such as a tree or high bush?  I would be most interested in com=
ments on this and I believe that others might find this topic of interest. =
=20
=20
This morning David Walmark=2C Pat Gladman and I took a run out to Second Pe=
ninsula.  Of note there was a winter wren=2C a yellow warbler=2C and two bl=
ackpoll warblers.  Also=2C we saw a very late Osprey.
=20
Tonight around 21:30=2C I was driving up through Lower Rose Bay=2C when an =
owl came swooping across the road and landed on the wires beside the highwa=
y.  It was my first sighting of a great horned owl this year although I had=
 heard them at a number of locations.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_c025cf56-bc65-46c3-89b1-4c60082d1cf2_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
This might be a topic for further discussion=2C but until yesterday=2C I wo=
uld not have thought that Lapland longspurs would land in a tree.&nbsp=3B I=
've never seen them other than on open fields or in areas where vegetation =
was present until yesterday.&nbsp=3B Some longspurs flew up with sparrows f=
rom the dunes into trees on a little island spit in the middle of the beach=
 at Cherry Hill.&nbsp=3B I knew that they were longspurs as I got a look at=
 them before flight and watched them through my scope for quite some time=
=2C determining also that these were juvenile birds.&nbsp=3B Has anyone els=
e ever seen a longspur land in vegetation such as a tree or high bush?&nbsp=
=3B I would be most interested in comments on this and I believe that other=
s might find this topic of interest.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
This morning David Walmark=2C Pat Gladman and I took a run out to Second Pe=
ninsula.&nbsp=3B Of note there was a winter wren=2C a yellow warbler=2C and=
 two blackpoll warblers.&nbsp=3B Also=2C we saw a very late Osprey.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Tonight around 21:30=2C I was driving up through Lower Rose Bay=2C when an =
owl came swooping across the road and landed on the wires beside the highwa=
y.&nbsp=3B It was my first sighting of a great horned owl this year althoug=
h I had heard them at a number of locations.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_c025cf56-bc65-46c3-89b1-4c60082d1cf2_--