[NatureNS] re: gas hydrates, was: election

Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:39:31 -0300
From: "Bruce Stevens" <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_499_22567887.1222889971711

Just to digress on Roland's last point a bit... it's true that the compound
methane (CH4) exists in some regions on the ocean floor in the form of gas
hydrates. It's also true that each molecule of methane has a much more
powerful greenhouse potential than carbon dioxide (CO2). However, the
concern over gas hydrates is their stability. Gas hydrates only form under =
certain combination of temperature and pressure in the ocean. If the ocean
warms too much (presumably because of increased atmospheric greenhouse gas
concentrations), some theorize that the gas hydrates could become unstable
and release their methane to the atmosphere, further compounding the
atmospheric warming that caused the instability in the first place. There
are many such positive feedbacks known in climate systems.

Bruce

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Roland McCormick <
roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>  I can understand people accepting the Green Party ideas, but the tax on
> fuel is completely unacceptable to me, and most of my friends. Under the
> Green plan the price of heating oil will increase 10 % this year, and 40%=
 in
> four years, and there is no substitute in site. I think instead of trying=
> tax people to death the emphasis should be on new ways to heat our homes.=
> am far more concerned about what will happen this winter than I am in wha=
> will happen to our world in a hundred years time. I also am told that
> methane gass on the floor of the ocean is a greater danger than carbon.
>
> Roland.

--=20
Bruce Stevens
Maryvale, NS

------=_Part_499_22567887.1222889971711

;s true that the compound methane (CH4) exists in some regions on the ocean=
 floor in the form of gas hydrates. It&#39;s also true that each molecule o=
f methane has a much more powerful greenhouse potential than carbon dioxide=
 (CO2). However, the concern over gas hydrates is their stability. Gas hydr=
ates only form under a certain combination of temperature and pressure in t=
he ocean. If the ocean warms too much (presumably because of increased atmo=
spheric greenhouse gas concentrations), some theorize that the gas hydrates=
 could become unstable and release their methane to the atmosphere, further=
 compounding the atmospheric warming that caused the instability in the fir=
st place. There are many such positive feedbacks known in climate systems.<=
br>
 Roland McCormick <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:roland.mccormick@=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

 ideas,=20
but the tax on fuel is completely unacceptable to me, and most of my friend=
s.=20
Under the Green plan the price of heating oil will increase 10 % this year,=
=20
and&nbsp;40% in four years, and there is no substi