[NatureNS] Banded Rudder Fish

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:41:34 -0300

Hi Randy Ken and all.

I've seen Rudder fish in the harbour for as long as I can remember. I've
tryed many times to catch them but have never been sucessful.

I've only encountered the Juv. ones, and boy are they ever striking to look
at with there black stripes. In the summers of 2006 & 2007 we had several
each year call the floating docks in Squid Cove home for several weeks.
Usualy first showing up in mid - late Aug. as the water warms up. The local
Crab Fishermen claim that in mid Aug. off shore they'll encounter several or
even schools at nearly all their trap floats.

Trigger fish will be seen often with the Rudders at their bouys and arround
other floating debries. I've seen them in and arround the harbour many many
times and for the last 4 years running. SO If you come upon debre floating
out clear of the beach in Aug. or Sept. Be very carefull. I knew a man who
almost lost a finger when he placed his hand in the water to retreive a
small peice of plywood. It took 10-12 stiches to cover the exposed bone of
his index finger.

We use to associate these and other rare fish with eddies spinning off the
gulf stream bringing with them all sorts of wonderfull exotic fishes. As of
the past few years this trend is becoming the norm. Just look how far north
the Striper Bass are now being caught.

Are our waters getting warmer? Just monitor the strenth of the tropical
storms and hurricanes entering canadian waters and/or making land fall.

Tom K.
Canso