[NatureNS] beaver/muskrat stumpage - Chocolate Lake

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:58:08 -0300
From: "Ronald Arsenault" <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_9788_9679153.1222567088218

Hello Steve,

The more evidence you provide, the more convinced I am that you were visited
by a 2-year old transient beaver. A weight of roughly 1.5 kg and a body
length of about 30 cm, with short legs, suggests to me that a muskrat would
probably not even be able to cut a "stout vertical alder stem sticking out
of the lake that had been cut off 13-14 inches above lake level".  Note also
that diet studies have reported muskrats as eating no more than 2% woody
stems (as reported in American Wildlife and Plants by Alexander C. Martin
et. al.  1951. Dover Books).

All the best,

Ron

--