[NatureNS] Re: Millet

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:38:11 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

At 05:54 PM 20/09/2008, David wrote:
>I found a grass in town, in a gutter crack, that keys out to Millet
>(Panicum millacium). So I am wondering where the seed might have come from.
>
>Is Millet seed sometimes a component of bird seed ?

Various mixed bird seeds often contain millet, of two
varieties.   White Millet, which is popular with sparrows, juncos,
and Mourning Doves (and I've also seen crows eat it), and Red Millet,
which no-one seems to eat at all, and which is really just a filler
to add bulk.

I purchase pure White Millet from seed stores, and supply it to the
birds daily, but it is mostly consumed on the premises, as it were,
so doesn't likely wander far.   It has sprung up near the feeders
from time to time, but doesn't do well in the climate here near the ocean.

But it is a light seed, so could be carried in feathers, or dropped
in bird droppings, etc, and so spread elsewhere.   And I've had the
odd millet seed lodged in the sole of my shoes or sandals at times,
and the seeds could be spread that way as well.

Cheers,

Blake Maybank
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca

Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"