[NatureNS] Broad wings & Gannets.

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:39:53 -0300
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Dave,

Regarding your questions about Northern Gannets, you might like to visit the
bird site on the Museum of Natural History web site at:

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/nsbirds/bns0024.htm

Most of the birds seen offshore here breed in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (most
notably on Bonaventure Island near Perce Rock in the Gaspe region of Quebec)
or on islands off eastern Newfoundland.  They winter off south-eastern US
from Virginia to the Gulf of Mexico.
On the Labour Day long weekend during the annual NSBS field trip, several of
us noted small numbers of adults steaming south.  Last evening while
shore-birding at Hartlen's Point, a single immature bird was observed close
to shore, also southbound.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob McDonald