[NatureNS] Great-horned Owl

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:32:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Fritz;

Your description of the owl's behaviour reminds me of birds I've seen on migration - especially young ones.  They don't have the stamina of the adults, and sometimes need to drop out for a day or two to rest and feed; before attempting to continue on their way.

Your owl looks like a bird-of-the-year; one born last spring.  I don't know if Great Horneds are moving yet, but if they are, I suspect that's what's wrong with the one you found.

Cheers;
Suzanne