[NatureNS] Hartlen Point Sunday Aug 24

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:16:19 -0300

I went on a walk along the Hartlen Point Shore this afternoon, starting out at
pretty much high tide. The following shorebird species were seen:
Semipalmated sandpipers
Least Sandpipers
SB Dowitchers (few)
Lesser Yellowlegs (few)
Greater Yellowlegs (few)
Willets (few)
Whimbrel (3)
Spotted Sandpipers (3, one still with some breeding plumage left)
Ruddy Turnstones
Black-bellied Plovers
Am. Golden Plover (1)
White-rumped sandpiper (1)

The washed up seaweed was loaded with Least sandpipers. Noticeable,
compared to last weekend was the greatly reduced presence of Yellowlegs,
Dowitchers, and BB-Plovers.  Turnstones were mostly juveniles. The only
White-rumped SP was a heavily moulting adult.
Still missing: Dunlin and Pectoral Sandpipers

Back cove had a few Common Eiders, some seem to be unable to fly due to
moulting.  Here I had my bird of the day, a gray ghost aka male Northern
Harrier.  I all those years I could counted sightings of male harriers on on
hand, now I need two. He put on a nice hunting show over the marsh.
Merlin and a Sharpy also made a brief fly over, two ospreys fished more or
less successful for supper.

Great day to be out

Ulli