[NatureNS] banded sanderling

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: dowitcher <dowitcher@eastlink.ca>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 22:58:48 -0300

Hi,

on the following website is some information about shorebird banding in the
Americas.
http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/nwrc-cnrf/default.asp?lang=En&n=CA9EA2C5-
1&offset=1&toc=show

The site tells you about banding of shorebirds in the Americas, how and
where to report sightings and who is using what colors.
In brief:  reports can be send to bbo_cws@ec.gc.ca, stating species,
location, time and what bands were seen on which leg in what order.
Green is the color of flag bands used to color band birds in the USA
(Canada uses white).The remaining bands allow to code the bander.

I observed a semipalmated sandpiper with colored legbands a few years
back in Grand Pre. Somehow my report here on NatureNS got into the
hands of the CWS folks and a few month later I got a message back from
the fellow who banded the bird the year before as a juvenile in Chesapeake
Bay USA. So I got some feedback, what isn't always the case when people
report banded birds.

Cheers

Ulli