[NatureNS] Birding yesterday and today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 01:41:48 +0000

--_8f01ce62-ae07-485e-b07e-6693a57e11bc_

Yesterday Pat and I made a run to Belle Isle Marsh from Wolfville.  It was =
a last minute decision and probably the only visit that I will get chance t=
o make there this year.  Normally I would have made two or three visits to =
the marsh by now.  Anyhow=2C the birds of interest that we observed were on=
e American Bittern=2C and three blue-winged teal.  Six bobolinks were still=
 around and an alder flycatcher with a young one.  Three northern harriers =
were patrolling.
=20
I've never seen so many wood ducks before in one location.  We counted 45 i=
n total and one group was comprised of 40 birds.  Three pied-billed grebes =
still remained.
=20
On the way back to East LaHave=2C I spotted common nighthawks at four locat=
ions.  There were about 10 before Keji=2C around 10 at Caledonia=2C seven o=
ver Bridgewater=2C and four or five at Wileville.
=20
Today=2C Pat and I accompanied David Walmark around Hells Point.  There wer=
e a number of shorebirds present=2C but only about a quarter of what David =
had seen yesterday.  Shorebirds included:
=20
Western Willet 1
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Semi-palmated Plover 9
Lesser Yellowlegs 2
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Ruddyturnstones 19
Least Sandpipers 34
Semi-palmated Sandpipers 65
Short-billed Dowitchers 12
Black-bellied Plover 1
White-rumped Sandpiper 12
=20
Not bad i'd say.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
If you like crossword puzzles=2C then you'll love Flexicon=2C a game which =
combines four overlapping crossword puzzles into one!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/208=

--_8f01ce62-ae07-485e-b07e-6693a57e11bc_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Yesterday Pat and I made a run to Belle Isle Marsh from Wolfville.&nbsp=3B =
It was a last minute decision and probably the only visit that I will get c=
hance to make there this year.&nbsp=3B Normally I would have made two or th=
ree visits to the marsh by now.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C the birds of interest tha=
t we observed were one American Bittern=2C and three blue-winged teal.&nbsp=
=3B Six bobolinks were still around and an alder flycatcher with a young on=
e.&nbsp=3B Three northern harriers were patrolling.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I've never seen so many wood ducks before in one location.&nbsp=3B We count=
ed 45 in total and one group was comprised of 40 birds.&nbsp=3B Three pied-=
billed grebes still remained.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On the way back to East LaHave=2C I spotted common nighthawks at four locat=
ions.&nbsp=3B There were about 10 before Keji=2C around 10 at Caledonia=2C =
seven over Bridgewater=2C and four or five at Wileville.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Today=2C Pat and I accompanied David Walmark around Hells Point.&nbsp=3B Th=
ere were a number of shorebirds present=2C but only about a quarter of what=
 David had seen yesterday.&nbsp=3B Shorebirds included:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Western Willet 1<BR>
Spotted Sandpiper 2<BR>
Semi-palmated Plover 9<BR>
Lesser Yellowlegs 2<BR>
Greater Yellowlegs 2<BR>
Ruddyturnstones 19<BR>
Least Sandpipers 34<BR>
Semi-palmated Sandpipers 65<BR>
Short-billed Dowitchers 12<BR>
Black-bellied Plover 1<BR>
White-rumped Sandpiper 12<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Not bad i'd say.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_8f01ce62-ae07-485e-b07e-6693a57e11bc_--