[NatureNS] Feeder hazard

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:21:22 -0300
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_/vXcjM91cVvNRe4DCxhrFQ)

At 12:34 PM 8/24/2008, you wrote:
>I have just become aware of a problem with our hummingbird feeder
>and even though late in the seaon I think it is worth passing on.
>...snip...
>This morning I inadvertently pulled the base off instead of
>unscrewing it exposing the interior of the base which is actually
>the reservoir for the syrup.
>I was dismayed to realize that ,in my ignorance, I had not been
>cleaning inside that area when I usually cleaned the feeder, and
>this reservoir from which the feeding tubes emerge was coated with a
>slimy film.

The solution, Andy, is to buy a feeder that comes completely apart.
We use a "Best One" feeder from Texas that is glass and the base
comes apart for easy cleaning. It's available in 8 oz and 32 oz sizes
from http://www.backyardbird.ca/hummingbirdfeeders.html. The only
problem with these feeders is that the mouth of the bottle is small
so you'll need to find a bottle brush...hope this helps!

Phil

--

Dr. Phil Schappert

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3
Home: 902-404-5679
Cell: 902-460-8343

www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                             Michael Hedges

--Boundary_(ID_/vXcjM91cVvNRe4DCxhrFQ)

At 12:34 PM 8/24/2008, you wrote:<br>
aware of a problem with our hummingbird feeder and even though late in
the seaon I think it is worth passing on.<br>
...snip...<br>
This morning I inadvertently<b> pulled</b> the base off instead of
unscrewing it exposing the interior of the base which is actually the
reservoir for the syrup.<br>
I was dismayed to realize that ,in my ignorance, I had not been cleaning
inside that area when I usually cleaned the feeder, and this reservoir
from which the feeding tubes emerge was coated with a slimy
The solution, Andy, is to buy a feeder that comes completely apart. We
use a &quot;Best One&quot; feeder from Texas that is glass and the base
comes apart for easy cleaning. It's available in 8 oz and 32 oz sizes
from
http://www.backyardbird.ca/hummingbirdfeeders.html</a>. The only problem
with these feeders is that the mouth of the bottle is small so you'll
need to find a bottle brush...hope this helps!<br><br>
Phil<br>

Dr. Phil Schappert<br><br>
27 Clovis Ave.<br>
Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3<br>
Home: 902-404-5679<br>
Cell: 902-460-8343<br><br>
www.philschappert.com<br>
</a><a href="http://www.aworldforbutterflies.com/" eudora="autourl">
www.aworldforbutterflies.com<br><br>
</a>&quot;Just let imagination lead, reality will follow
through...&quot;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Michael Hedges</font> </body>

--Boundary_(ID_/vXcjM91cVvNRe4DCxhrFQ)--