[NatureNS] Feeder hazard

From: "Andy Dean" <aadean@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:34:27 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C905E5.BFB06D30

I have just become aware of a problem with our hummingbird feeder and =
even though late in the seaon I think it is worth passing on.
The feeder is an inexpensive one sold by many stores it has a clear =
plastic body which screws into a base with four bell-shaped plastic =
cups, and a cross piece with small plastic perches. It is filled upside =
down , the base screwed back on and then tipped back upright and hung =
up.
Our syrup has been getting cloudy quite rapidly recently and we wondered =
why.
This morning I inadvertently pulled the base off instead of unscrewing =
it exposing the interior of the base which is actually the reservoir for =
the syrup.
I was dismayed to realize that ,in my ignorance, I had not been cleaning =
inside that area when I usually cleaned the feeder, and this reservoir =
from which the feeding tubes emerge was coated with a slimy film.
I am hoping I am the only dummy in our group -----but I suspect there =
may possibly be others who will benefit from the knowledge.
Andy

Andy & Lelia Dean
86 Baden Powell Drive
Kentville, NS. Canada. B4N 5P5
Tel: [902] 678-6243

aadean@ns.sympatico.ca

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C905E5.BFB06D30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have just become aware of a problem =
with our=20
hummingbird feeder and even though late in the seaon I think it is worth =
passing=20
on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The feeder is an inexpensive one sold =
by many=20
stores it has a clear plastic body which screws into a base with four=20
bell-shaped plastic cups, and a cross piece with small plastic perches. =
It is=20
filled upside down , the base screwed back on and then tipped back =
upright and=20
hung up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Our syrup&nbsp;has been&nbsp;getting =
cloudy=20
quite&nbsp;rapidly recently and we wondered why.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This morning&nbsp;I =
inadvertently<STRONG>=20
pulled</STRONG> the base off instead of unscrewing it exposing the =
interior of=20
the base which is actually&nbsp;the reservoir for the =
syrup.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was dismayed to realize that ,in my =
ignorance, I=20
had not been cleaning inside that area when I usually cleaned the =
feeder, and=20
this reservoir from which the feeding tubes emerge was coated with a =
slimy=20
film.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am hoping I am the only dummy =
in&nbsp;our group=20
-----but I suspect&nbsp;there may possibly be others who will benefit =
from the=20
knowledge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Andy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Andy &amp; Lelia Dean<BR>86 Baden =
Powell=20
Drive<BR>Kentville, NS. Canada. B4N 5P5<BR>Tel: [902] =
678-6243</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:aadean@ns.sympatico.ca">aadean@ns.sympatico.ca</A></FONT><=