[NatureNS] Hummingbirds migration

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:23:12 -0300
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi David and all, I think it is too early to find these answers, but
there are some great Hummingbird sites on the net.
Hilton Pond in South Carolina do a lot of research on Hummers: This
week's note is on the top ten myths about hummingbirds.
 http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek080715.html
Chris,
The site I enjoy in the spring is the arrival map ( just go to
http://www.hummingbird.net/map.html and the Canada portion is at the top.)
Also fun to check the early arrival and late departure notes in Tufts
Birds of Nova Scotia (on the NS Museum website).
Here is a quote from VirtualMuseum.ca:
"The migratory route of the Ruby-throated Hummingbird is a long one.
Although most of the species follow the US-Mexican coast, many others
cross the Gulf of Mexico, a route with no landing for 800 to 1000 km.
They apparently travel in groups of various sizes, flying over the water
at low altitude. They have been observed flying over the Gulf of Mexico
just 8 metres above the surface and between the waves on Lake Erie on a
windy day. The males are the first to arrive in the spring and fall,
followed by the females, then the immature birds, each about a week apart."
Cheers, Joan