[NatureNS] Dead gannets

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:43:09 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_66018_17601503.1219506189597

Interesting, Joan.

As you can imagine, I've brought a few of these gannets back to the lab to
add their skeletons (in whole or in part) to our collection. I don't recall
skull damage, I likely wouldn't have kept them if there was...and I don't
recall if I've rejected any or not (I process a lot of skeletons, so I can't
remember them all). I'll keep a look out for this now.

Randy

2008/8/22 Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>

> I recall reading some years ago a study (Great Britain, I believe) of dead
> gannets in which cause of death in the majority was skull damage. Having
> seen from a kayak the way they hit the water, this does not surprise me.
> Perhaps the immatures have trouble getting the entry angle right. Cheers,
> Joan
>
> Randy Lauff wrote:
>
>> Washed-up gannets are not uncommon, I come across a few every year, almost
>> always juveniles.
>>
>> 2008/8/18 Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca <mailto:
>> kelindsay@eastlink.ca>>
>>
>>    This afternoon I found a dead gannet washed up on the shore of my
>>    Seabright cove in St Margarets Bay.
>>    There were no obvious signs of injury on the body. How common is
>>    such a finding in these parts?
>>
>>    Eleanor Lindsay

Randy
RF Lauff