[NatureNS] Venus-Mercury Observed Friday Evening

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:56:54 -0300
To: Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-3-638446312
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Venus and Mercury observed during an observing session between 20:25
and 20:48 ADT, August 22.  Location:  very low in the west, Bluff
Road (nice open view of western horizon), Avonport.  Unfortunately a
few, low, wispy clouds were slowly slipping into my view of the planets.

Using 10 X 50 binoculars, Venus was sighted right away, however a
small thin cloud blocked my view of Mercury until about 20:30 when
the cloud haze moved away, enabling me to catch a view of the faint,
twinkling light from Mercury. That raised a moment of excitement and
satisfaction, however, as a few more thin wisps of cloud passed
slowly through the view, Mercury came and went from view, becoming
completely obscured about 20:41.  At that time more persistent wisps
of low cloud began to slip over the view of both planets.  Light from
even Venus began to fluctuate, hope faded for any further views of
Mercury.

Certainly once I knew where Venus was at 20:25, I could locate it
naked-eye.  I doubt that Mercury could have been seen unaided.

Mercury was about 4 degrees above the horizon when I first saw it at
20:30, Venus about a degree higher.  Mercury was a little more than a
degree from Venus at about the 7:30 o'clock position.

I turned my back on the scene at 20:48 and headed home;  on my way I
spotted Jupiter, brilliantly shining against the dark blue twilight,
nicely up in the SSE.

Sherman
--Apple-Mail-3-638446312

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
text-align: auto; -khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: =
0px; -apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><div>Venus and =
Mercury observed during an observing session between 20:25 and 20:48 =
ADT,=A0August 22. =A0Location: =A0very low in the west, Bluff Road (nice =
open view of western horizon), Avonport. =A0Unfortunately a few, low, =
wispy clouds were slowly slipping into my view of the =
 10 X 50 binoculars, Venus was sighted right away, however a small thin =
cloud blocked my view of Mercury until about 20:30 when the cloud haze =
moved away, enabling me to catch a view of the faint, twinkling light =
from Mercury. That raised a moment of excitement and satisfaction, =
however, as a few more thin wisps of cloud passed slowly through the =
view, Mercury came and went from view, becoming completely obscured =
about 20:41. =A0At that time more persistent wisps of low cloud began to =
slip over the view of both planets. =A0Light from even Venus began to =
fluctuate, hope faded for any further views of Mercury.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>Certainly once I knew =
where Venus was at 20:25, I could locate it naked-eye. =A0I doubt that =
Mercury could have been seen unaided.=A0</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>Mercury was about 4 =
degrees above the horizon when I first saw it at 20:30, Venus about a =
degree higher. =A0Mercury was a little more than a degree=A0from =
Venus=A0at about the 7:30 o'clock position.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>I turned my back on the =
scene at 20:48 and headed home; =A0on my way I=A0spotted Jupiter, =
brilliantly=A0shining against the dark blue twilight, =A0nicely up in =
the SSE.</div><div><br =
body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-3-638446312--