[NatureNS] Weird Scorpion-like Bug/pelecinid

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:52:39 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

style='font-siz
I see a few of these wasps cruising very slowly over my "lawn"
(actually mostly
moss) in Halifax in late August most years.

Of some related interest is the extremely overdeveloped tibia of the
hindlegs of
these female pelecinids, nicely visible as the seemingly swollen part both on
Cindy's nice photo and on the one in the Wikipedia article that Randy listed,
link copied below.  Most insects have a vibration-sensitive organ in
each tibia
(the SGO or subgenual organ = the under-the-knee organ).  The SGO in the back
legs of cockroaches is extremely sensitive -- it can detect vibrations on the
order of 1 nanometer (= a billionth of a meter) at frequencies around 1
kilohertz.  As the pelecinid's hind tibia is much more developed than the
roach's, it could be specialized to detect and localize vibrations made by the
June beetle larvae moving underground, in whatever frequency band these larvae
emit (not measured as far as I know, and I'm not sure technically how you'd do
it in soil).  Perhaps they use their tibial SGOs to locate the appropriate
place to insert the abdomen into the soil.  Some years back I sent a couple of
pickled legs to a German academic who had a mutual interest in pursuing this
possibility, but as far as I know, he never got round to doing anything with
them.

Incidentally, language purists may wish to scrutinize the one-paragraph
Wikipedia article on this for a creative re-definition of the word
"attenuated", used in reference to the extreme length of the pelecinid's
abdomen.
Steve, Halifax.