[NatureNS] Weird Scorpion-like Bug/pelecinid

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:50:07 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi there,

         Thanks to Cindy for sharing Jeff's photo, and to Randy,
Chris and Steve for commenting on it.  I saw one of these wasps today
in my own garden, and knew immediately what it was, thanks to this
list. I noticed the swollen hind legs, but even with my binoculars
could see only four legs in all.  (The Wikipedia photo shows
six.)  Does this creature often hold its front two legs up close to
its body, as a butterfly does?

         Steve, I took it that "attenuated" referred to the gradual
thinning of the wasp's abdomen - not its length.

         Cheers,

         Patricia l. Chalmers
         Halifax