[NatureNS] Reptile and Amphibian movements

Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:23:54 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

HI there,

         This thread about human disturbances to small animal
movements strikes a chord with me.  I often visit the Frog Pond at
Fleming Park in Jollimore, which has a variety of habitats in a small
area and hosts an wide range of species for an urban park.  This
spring the gravel shoulders of the Purcell's Cove Road in this area
were paved and designated bicycle lanes, which I thought at first was
a progressive move.  Earlier this week I was surprised to find that
the large gravel parking lot adjacent to the pond was also being
paved.  In other years I have watched Painted Turtles scraping out
their nests in the gravel of that parking lot. I now realize that a
significant portion of the local nesting habitat of the pond's large
Painted Turtle population has been paved over.  I wonder where they
will go now?

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax