[NatureNS] Reptile and Amphibian movements

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:32:49 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,            Aug 4, 2008
    The mention of pavement leads into another but avoidable negative
effect of most paved surfaces; the almost immediate movement of
rain/snow water to storm drains and and thence to waterways. An excerpt
from my e-mail of June 26, 2001 on this topic is pasted below.

START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    URBAN WATERSHEDS: Much urban precipitation never has the opportunity
to nourish plants or feed springs. It goes straight from pavement to storm
drains and then to outflow channels. Some farsighted individuals in the
EPA attempted to do something about this and porous pavement was developed
and tested (Thelen, Grover, Hoiberg and Haigh 1972, Conclusions section
from the investigations of porous pavements for urban runoff control).
"Use Porous Pavement" doesn't have the crowd appeal of  "Save the
Rainforest" and so far as I know, porous pavement has not been widely
used. According to an abstract of Swedish tests, it withstands frost
better than normal pavement.

///////////END OF PASTE

    On a related note, I walked past the pond that is in the Halifax
Public Gardens recently and noticed that it was green and almost opaque
with microscopic algal growth. I didn't notice any agricultural
activities nearby.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville