[NatureNS] HUGE Cow-parsnips

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:55:07 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Randy & All,                July 24, 2008
    I notice that umbel size is not mentioned in Gray's 7th ed., 8th ed.
or in Munz & Keck California Flora which would suggest wide variation to
the point of not being diagnostic. In general, excessive fertilizer will
promote vegetative growth to the detriment of flowering & fruiting.

    I don't know this species well but, based on behavior of perennials
in general, unusually high vigor of flowering and fruiting can be
brought about by unusually high levels of stored reserves, especially
carbohydrate reserves (in this case in the roots).

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville