[NatureNS] HUGE Cow-parsnips

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:01:18 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_152501_15627961.1216987278196

2008/7/24 David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>:

> Hi Randy & All,                July 24, 2008
>   I notice that umbel size is not mentioned in Gray's 7th ed., 8th ed. or
> in Munz & Keck California Flora which would suggest wide variation to the
> point of not being diagnostic. In general, excessive fertilizer will promote
> vegetative growth to the detriment of flowering & fruiting.

Interesting point. The leaves were also huge, so big that I had to choose a
small one to mount on a standard herbarium sheet (about 42 x 27 cm). Perhaps
the largess of the leaves allowed for more food production to generate the
large flower?

Both our herbarium curator and botanist are away at the moment, so I had to
use my imagination to mount the umbel...I cut about a 5 mm slice through the
receptacle (can that word be used here - where all the umblelets (?!)
attach) and got a fan-shaped segment which barely fit onto another herbarium
sheet.

Would any of you who know more about mounting big plants have done something
differently?

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of