[NatureNS] sei (most likely) or finner

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:19:13 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_21133_29150252.1215519553508

Dave's comments are essentially correct. Whenever I deal with a carcass of
anything larger than a chipmunk or weasel, I gut it and skin it, then let my
beetle colony deal with it. I think burying it has absolutely nothing to do
with efficient skeletonization, rather it has to do with public annoyance.

For large animals, the flesh may dry as Laurie mentioned, but it's still
organic, and it will be eaten...it just takes a few years if no one hydrates
it. I had a Minke Whale skull on my land that took three years before it was
done. It's now in a teaching lab at StFX.

Dave also mentions, like many, many other people...ants. This may work in
the tropics, but ants are virtually non-existent on the many carcasses in
the field that I've dealt with...some which I've put there, some which I've
encountered. By far and away, flies (in their maggot form) are the dominant
scavengers, and are the first to arrive at the scene (often within
seconds...which is why they make a powerful tool in forensics). Beetles and
wasps are there as well.

This afternoon, I'm taking out a group of high school students in StFX's
Summer Academy program...I've got a road-killed deer and nuisance beaver
planted for them to look at - the gross factor should be really cool -
especially in this heat!
Randy
2008/7/7 David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>:

> Hi All,            July 7, 2008
>   Having no experience in these matters I can only imagine events from
> first principles but I would expect most of a whale to rapidly become anoxic
> and this would lead to very slow decay rates that approached zero. The
> rationale being, that the skin and blubber layer would act as an O2 barrier
> and initial decay, within this barrier, would rapidly decrease O2 to near
> zero.
>
>   Consequently I think decay rates would be greatly enhanced if skin and
> blubber were removed from at least half (whatever ends up facing upward) of
> the surface. Also it should be covered with topsoil or at least compost with
> some mineral component and given a good seeding of ants and flesh/hide
> eating insects.
> Yt, Dave Webster

Randy
RF Lauff