[NatureNS] Re:Note on Pishing

From: <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 8:28:49 -0400

Hi, Gayle- To pish is to make a soft "Pisssh!pisssh!" sound through your teeth and somewhat puckered lips to attract a bird. I learned it from Charlie Allen (CRK Allen, one of the founders of the NS Bird Society. Charlie would stay in the car, roll down the window, and make very loud "PISH,PISH,PISH" sound, and the birds would come. Phyllis Dobson, another founding member, would roll down the window on her side of the car and ever so softly, say "pish,pish,pish" and the birds would come. However you do it, there are several theories why it works- curiosity, territorial defence, distraction,etc. And many birds will not come to pishing.Please don't go tramping around after a reclusive bird. (Try the next day earlier in the morning.)
 There are a few "rules of pishing" I would like to suggest for beginners. Others may wish to add or delete:
Pish ONLY if you are not going to cause stress to the birds;
Pish only until the bird shows itself;
Pish on a field trip only if the leader invites you to do so;
Stand quietly while someone is pishing; keep hands still;
Pish only if you need to see the bird for ID purposes. Try to learn the songs and calls.  (I struggle with this) or just wait quietly until the bird shows itself.
Happy birding! Joan