[NatureNS] sei (most likely) or finner

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 00:06:08 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

A few years back, a decomposing small whale was left in a fenced
enclosure in a
clearing behind the house on the Mt Uniacke estate, near the original
greenhouse site.  Didn't smell too bad when I first encountered it.  It would
have had a hard time swimming there, so was part of some project to
recover the
skeleton, I vaguely recall -- there was a notice about this mounted
next to the
fencing.  The whole set-up and skeleton had gone by last summer when we
were up
at the same clearing catching froghoppers, so it was presumably a successful
endeavour.

I don't remember who organized the Mt. U. whale de-fleshing, but this
info might
be relevant to the apparent desire to recover the present specimen and
skeletonize it:  perhaps someone else on NNS will have superior
recollection or
information.
Steve