[NatureNS] sei (most likely) or finner

Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:07:06 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,            July 7, 2008
    Having no experience in these matters I can only imagine events from
first principles but I would expect most of a whale to rapidly become
anoxic and this would lead to very slow decay rates that approached
zero. The rationale being, that the skin and blubber layer would act as
an O2 barrier and initial decay, within this barrier, would rapidly
decrease O2 to near zero.

    Consequently I think decay rates would be greatly enhanced if skin
and blubber were removed from at least half (whatever ends up facing
upward) of the surface. Also it should be covered with topsoil or at
least compost with some mineral component and given a good seeding of
ants and flesh/hide eating insects.
Yt, Dave Webster