[NatureNS] Cape LaHave Island

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 22:57:27 +0000

--_7d360e2c-a462-4f5b-a8cf-f7041c0959a6_

Yesterday I went with plant=2C geology and people with other levels of expe=
rtise out to Cape LaHave Island.  I was pleased to see seaside dragonletes =
there.  There were some females of this species also on Port Mouton Island =
the day before and some which were emerging in the teneral stage.   Getting=
 back to Cape LaHave=2C the only bird of note was a vocalizing fox sparrow.=
  Everything else=2C  I expected other than a green-winged teal which has m=
e puzzled.  In regards to what I saw and what is on the map for the island =
there should not be any suitable breeding habitat for this species there.  =
The island is huge though and we only covered about a quarter of it.  There=
fore=2C there could be a pond in the midst of the island somewhere that no =
one knows about.  Another noteable record I think is of six short-billed do=
witchers.  Of course this would correlate with this species now moving back=
 through at Cape Sable Island.   The good old hawk question comes to the fo=
refront again.  I had a sharp-shinned hawk with prey in the talons fly by. =
 I watched this bird cross over a good 1 km to 1.5 km area.  It then disapp=
eared over the tree tops on the far end of the island.  The direction of fl=
ight of this bird would have taken it to a location on the island itself=2C=
 or to some other island.  No other land mass exists other than open ocean =
beyond.  I could not see if the food was processed or not.  How do I flag t=
his?  I think that in all likelihood the sharp-shin was taking food back to=
 a nest.  With most sharp-shinned hawks that I have observed food is not ta=
ken far before it is eaten.  Any comments would be appreciated.
=20
Other noteables were leps on the island.  I had one monarch=2C a viceroy=2C=
 eastern tiger swallowtails=2C and a load of spring azures.  For herp fans =
there are garter snakes=2C and minke frogs.  On my last visit a good 8-10 y=
ears ago there were also leopard frogs present. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
Find hidden words=2C unscramble celebrity names=2C or try the ultimate cros=
sword puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_7d360e2c-a462-4f5b-a8cf-f7041c0959a6_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Yesterday I went with plant=2C geology and people with&nbsp=3Bother levels =
of expertise out to Cape LaHave Island.&nbsp=3B I was pleased to see seasid=
e dragonletes there.&nbsp=3B There were some females of this species also o=
n Port Mouton Island the day before and some which were emerging in the ten=
eral stage.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Getting back to Cape LaHave=2C the only=
 bird of note was a vocalizing fox sparrow.&nbsp=3B Everything else=2C&nbsp=
=3B I expected other than a green-winged teal which has me puzzled.&nbsp=3B=
 In regards to what I saw and what is on the map for the island there shoul=
d not be any suitable breeding habitat for this species there.&nbsp=3B The =
island is huge though and we only covered about a quarter of it.&nbsp=3B Th=
erefore=2C there could be a pond in the midst of the island somewhere that =
no one knows about.&nbsp=3B Another noteable record I think is of six short=
-billed dowitchers.&nbsp=3B Of course this would correlate with this specie=
s now moving back through at Cape Sable Island.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>The=
 good old hawk question comes to the forefront again.&nbsp=3B I had a sharp=
-shinned hawk with prey in the talons fly by.&nbsp=3B I watched this bird c=
ross over a good 1 km to 1.5 km area.&nbsp=3B It then disappeared over the =
tree tops on the far end of the island.&nbsp=3B The direction of flight of =
this bird would have taken it to a location on the island itself=2C or to s=
ome other island.&nbsp=3B No other land mass exists other than open ocean b=
eyond.&nbsp=3B I could not see if the food was processed or not.&nbsp=3B Ho=
w do I flag this?&nbsp=3B I think that in all likelihood the sharp-shin was=
 taking food back to a nest.&nbsp=3B With most sharp-shinned hawks that I h=
ave observed food is not taken far before it is eaten.&nbsp=3B Any comments=
 would be appreciated.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Other noteables were leps on the island.&nbsp=3B I had one monarch=2C a vic=
eroy=2C eastern tiger swallowtails=2C and a load of spring azures.&nbsp=3B =
For herp fans there are garter snakes=2C and minke frogs.&nbsp=3B On my las=
t visit a good 8-10 years ago there were also leopard frogs present.&nbsp=
=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_7d360e2c-a462-4f5b-a8cf-f7041c0959a6_--