: Re: [NatureNS] ruining the orchids at Smileys.

Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:48:13 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Paul S. Boyer wrote:

> I would urge everyone (photographers, orchid-club members, general
> naturalists, or simple lovers of beauty) please to be as careful as
> possible with the showies, as with other delicate wild plants.  We
> should also take time to build an appreciation in the public, and
> gently but clearly point out the sensitivity of those plants.  What
> more can we do?  What less could be owed by us?
>

> — Paul

Hi Paul & All,                July 6, 2008
    If more people were encouraged to buy a hand lens (or even better a
dissecting microscope) and use it, to examine e.g. nearby common plants,
then  fewer would be keen to bother rare or showy plants. Given the
right mindset, a Showy Lady's Slipper has nothing to offer that can not
be provided by a Burdock, a _Hieracium_.
 or any other plant, insect ...

    I saw some Showy lady's Slipper some 56 years ago and would not
cross the road to see another one. Too much traffic, even 20 paces away
from such plants could be  detrimental.

Yt, DW