[NatureNS] Pests Attacking Scotch Pine Trees?

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:20:32 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Patricia,

We have had the same problem here in L. Sackville in past years.  The
insect seems to be a Borer which bores into the new growth, lays its
eggs, which then hatch and the caterpillar starts to eat and kills off
the leader or other branches of the Pine.  If you break off the branch
at the point where it begins to turn brown, you can find the caterpillar
inside.  We have White Pines, but it all started with a neighbour's
Scotch Pine, and spread to us.  The Mugho Pines are also affected.  If
you control it, it doesn't kill the trees.  I don't know the name of the
Borer, but I'm sure someone can tell us.

Lois Codling