[NatureNS] Black & White Warbler

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:08:29 +0000

--_5f590a6e-90c5-41ed-97c3-5b8cba58ad20_

Hi all:
=20
I recently read a scientific study on the black and white warbler, in regar=
ds to the success of the male finding a mate.  In the study it stated that =
we could tell the difference between the genders by the female having a whi=
te throat.  This is interesting to me as in all of the times that I have wa=
tched this species I've never considered if there was a way to tell the mal=
e or female apart before.  The guides even show that the female is whiter u=
nderneath, so I guess from now on I'll take notice of which sex I am observ=
ing and this should also help in determining if you are observing a pair fo=
r the breeding bird atlas.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_5f590a6e-90c5-41ed-97c3-5b8cba58ad20_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I recently read a scientific study on the black and white warbler, in regar=
ds to&nbsp;the success of the male finding a mate.&nbsp; In the study it&nb=
sp;stated that we could tell the difference between the genders by the fema=
le having a white throat.&nbsp; This is interesting to me as in all of the&=
nbsp;times that I have watched this species I've never considered if there =
was a way to tell the male or female apart before.&nbsp; The guides even sh=
ow that the female is whiter underneath, so I guess from now on I'll take n=
otice of which sex I am observing and this should also help in determining =
if you are observing a pair for the breeding bird atlas.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_5f590a6e-90c5-41ed-97c3-5b8cba58ad20_--