[NatureNS] SUMMER Tanager

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:51:41 -0300
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Joan, As for the red bird in the horrible Jaffe film The Scarlet Letter (a
massacre of a great novel if there ever was one, despite great Nova Scoian
scenery) it seems to me that the "red bird," which the director insisted on
having with some difficulty, was a specifes not even found in North America.
I seem to recall an article somewhere about the longstanding habit Hollywood
films have of going to soundbanks and using in their soundtracks (if not
also in their imagery) birds that are in reality in countries or even
continents that they never visit in reality. An unique Australian species
heard in California, for instance, or an Outer Mongolian species heard in
Massachusetts. Always amusing (or annoying) for the ornithologists in he
audience who know their bird voices well.
Brian