[NatureNS] when to plant / Lady's Slipper plants

From: "David&Jane Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:23:24 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C8C7C7.BBDB9B50

Joyce, hi.  You don't say where you are located, but I'm presuming somewhere
near (Lower?) Sackville.  There are lots of "mini-climates", so your
situation, even presuming you're in the metro area (as we are), may be
different from others'.  We have seldom had much luck with cataloupes,
except in the greenhouse.  They  have produced fruit outside, but it wasn't
sweet.  Peppers I know more about.  If you have a good, maritime,
short-season pepper variety, you can do reasonably well with them.  The evil
is when they bloom too early.  Then, if there is a cold night, the blossoms
fall off and no fruit develop.  They need a very sunny, protected spot.
Tomatoes are a bit more hardy.  We put them out about now, with some bone
meal to encourage fruiting.  You can bury part of the stems, too, if your
plants are tall.  This encourages root growth and gives them a sturdier
look.  As for beans: they just don't come up until the soil is good and
warm.  I planted the scarlet runners a few days ago.
I have never understood this moon thing.  It seems totally without
scientific basis.  We just wait, watching the weather forcasts, until we
have a stretch of warmish nights ahead and, at best, a cloudy day for
planting.  Any of you more scientific folks care to comment on the old
"wisdom" about the moon phases and planting?
Jan
p.s.  DO NOT PICK LADY SLIPPERS!