[NatureNS] when to plant / Lady's Slipper plants

From: "Joyce Norris" <whuzzy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 06:19:05 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C8C79D.38C6BA80

I was trying to find out when it is safe to put out annuals and plants =
like cantaloupes, peppers, tomatoes (i.e. actual plants not the seeds). =
I found a frost chart but there is no way I would have put these plants =
out going by that - in May. The plants I am wondering about are all less =
cold tolerant. Its not just frost per se. I already did the pansies, =
peas, beets, spinach, etc. but nothing like  impatiens, beans, etc. I =
have some overachieving pansy plants that bloomed all winter for the =
last two winters then they don't look so great over the summer when they =
should be doing best.=20

I thought you were safe after a certain moon phase in June but I know it =
was down to 5C overnight, if not lower, with a cold heavy dew so if I =
went by the new moon (June 3) I don't know all of the plants would have =
been "happy" being outside unprotected. One good thing about having a =
carport and breezeway - at least they can get hardened a bit before =
being planted.

So much for the Weather Network claiming the low would be 5C, at 0555 I =
went out and looked at the thermometer - it is right on zero. Yeesh!

Very pleased to see several lady slipper plants in bloom behind Fultz =
House in Sackville Wednesday. One was in an obvious spot the others you =
had to look for a bit. They are a protected plant, aren't they. If so, =
they didn't have any sign about not picking them. Do the yellow ones =
come out the same time as the pink ones?

Thx
Joyce
------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C8C79D.38C6BA80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2>I was trying to find out when =
it is safe=20
to put out annuals and plants like cantaloupes, peppers, tomatoes (i.e. =
actual=20
plants not the seeds). I found a frost chart but there is no way I would =
have=20
put these plants out going by that - in May. The plants I am wondering =
about are=20
all less cold tolerant. Its not just frost per se. I already did the =
pansies,=20
peas, beets, spinach, etc. but nothing like &nbsp;impatiens, beans, etc. =
I have=20
some overachieving pansy plants that bloomed all winter for the last two =
winters=20
then they don't look so great over the summer when they should be doing =
best.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2>I thought you were safe after =
a certain=20
moon phase in June but I know it was down to 5C overnight, if not lower, =
with a=20
cold heavy dew so if I went by the new moon (June 3) I don't know all of =
the=20
plants would have been "happy" being outside unprotected. One good thing =
about=20
having a carport and breezeway - at least they can get hardened a bit =
before=20
being planted.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2>So much for the Weather =
Network claiming=20
the low would be 5C, at 0555 I went out and looked at the thermometer - =
it is=20
right on zero. Yeesh!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2>Very pleased to see several =
lady slipper=20
plants in bloom&nbsp;behind Fultz House in Sackville Wednesday. One was =
in an=20
obvious spot the others you had to look for a bit. They are a protected =
plant,=20
aren't they. If so, they didn't have any sign about not picking them. Do =
the=20
yellow ones come out the same time as the pink ones?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2>Thx</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" =
size=3D2>Joyce</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C8C79D.38C6BA80--