[NatureNS] Massive areas of Dug-up Grassy Turf in Berwick???

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:17:59 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1--834238084
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

You may be interested in one of todays stories in the Chronicle
Herald; you've probably been aware of the topic from radio and TV
news yesterday.   It was my friend Robert's new plane that was
involved; it was his runway that launched our recent good discussion
on <Massive areas of Dug-up Grassy Turf in Berwick???>  He was
showing me his new craft on Tuesday, anticipating its inaugural
flight.  Besides being a poultry farmer and keen about flying, the
newspaper does not point out that Robert has become a keen naturalist
and is an active amateur astronomer (has his own observatory with an
18 inch reflecting telescope inside the dome).

Here is a link to today's Herald story:
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1057743.html

Sheman

--Apple-Mail-1--834238084

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div>You may be interested in =
one of todays stories in the Chronicle Herald; you've probably been =
aware of the topic from radio and TV news yesterday. =A0 It was my =
friend Robert's new plane that was involved; it was his runway that =
launched our recent good discussion on &lt;Massive areas of Dug-up =
Grassy Turf in Berwick???&gt; =A0He was showing me his new craft on =
Tuesday, anticipating its inaugural flight.=A0=A0Besides being a poultry =
farmer and keen about flying, the newspaper does not point out that =
Robert has become a keen naturalist and is an active amateur astronomer =
(has his own observatory with an 18 inch reflecting telescope inside the =
is a link to today's Herald story:</div><a =
href=3D"http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1057743.html">http://www.th=
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
class=3D"OutlookMessageHeader" lang=3D"en-us" dir=3D"ltr" =
align=3D"left"><hr tabindex=3D"-1"><font face=3D"Tahoma" =
size=3D"2"><b>From:</b>=A0naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca [<a =
href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">mailto:naturens-owner@chebuc=
Subject:</b>=A0[NatureNS] Massive areas of Dug-up Grassy Turf in =
situation: =A0I was visiting a friend in Berwick area, today, and he was =
showing me several large areas where a grassed surface is all dug up. I =
presume that it was done by skunks mining larvae. =A0What larvae? =A0 He =
says that several ravens are seen in these areas too. But I =A0doubt =
that they are initiating the original dig. They are just hoping to find =
something good under the little sods already removed (I've never seen so =
many ravens as congregate around his place -a poultry farm).=A0<div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>The areas where the turf =
is ripped up range between 2 square metres to 10 or more square metres. =
=A0 The exposed soil is a sandy loam, the grassed area is actually a =
landing strip=A0(that he keeps mowed)=A0for a light aircraft; =A0it is =
boardered by rows of 30-yr old white pine. =A0 It is amazing, the total =
area that has been worked over. =A0 He has not experienced this before, =
at least nothing on this scale. =A0=A0He is wondering what is going on =
and what he should do. =A0 =A0 I said that I suspect that it has =
something to do with an infestation of some insect larvae that skunks =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>If I'm right, I bet =
someone on NatureNS probably has a suggestion or two on what insect is =
type=3D"cite"><div>On 21/05/2008, at 12:16 PM, Sherman Williams =
wrote:</div><blockquote type=3D"cite">Thanks Chris, and everyone else =
who shared a response to my question. THANKS. The information and =
suggestions are much appreciated. =A0I will pass them on to Robert.=A0I =
had mentioned to him the possibility of June bug and crane fly larvae, =A0=
 and it looks like crows and ravens, in addition to skunks, CAN tear up =
the turf as well. That, I did not realize before. =A0Chris, I can =
appreciate what you suggested about the numbers of june bug larva versus =
crane fly larvae. =A0<div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>I once saw a fine example =
of how numerous crane fly larvae can be. =A0A=A0few years ago, in =
Avonport, a neighbour down the road gave me a call to come and have a =
look at his unwelcome =A0visitors. =A0He had hundreds and hundreds =A0of =
these greenish-brownish grey, 3 or 4 cm long, larvae crawling all over =
his paved driveway, =A0parking area, =A0in the lawn grass and even =
crawling into his garage; they were certainly numerous. =A0I had not =
seen crane fly numbers like that before.=A0=A0He was sweeping them up by =
the shovel full. =A0Prior to that, =A0I've occasionally=A0seen one or =
two crawling over the lawn or motionless=A0on snow surface=A0during a =
winter thaw.<div><br =

--Apple-Mail-1--834238084--