[NatureNS] Massive areas of Dug-up Grassy Turf in Berwick???

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:58:04 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C8BB31.8B473370

Judy, I agree.
I should have noted in my earlier message that the damage was done overnight
in each case. It was done by early morning when the crows arrived to find
whatever they could. Sometimes you could even see the skunks going by the
picture windows just before you went to bed. Several times they were in my
driveway when I came home from some meeting late in the evening. Also, the
sod was literally ripped back from the soil and laid upside down in
extremely large pieces. I could often turn it over and re-lay it  after
raking the soil level, just like sod from the nursery. Crows would also
attack the lawn but they would leave holes everywhere, quite a different
problem, but nowhere near as extensive. Those bug larva must have been a
major food source for weeks. I thought that the price I had to pay of the
extra work was the cost of not spraying my property, and probably worth it
with the wild life it supported.
John Belbin