[NatureNS] Nature Notes

From: Steve Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 18:35:31 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1-738297651

Hi Chris, Angus:   while looking for something else, I found a lot of=20
tiger beetles out today on rocks up above the tide line, along the=20
shore.   Overall brown with some metallic green specks (and metallic=20
green undersides), but under magnification has very distinctive creamy=20=

markings on elytra, closely matching _Cicindela duodecimguttata_ on=20
Bugguide.net.   Nothing like Angus' pic.
Is _C. duodecimguttata_ a likely or common species in N.S. at this date?
Steve, Halifax

On 16-May-08, at 3:26 PM, Christopher Majka wrote:
> Hi Angus,
> On 16-May-08, at 3:02 PM, Angus MacLean wrote:
>>
>> Today there was a Bee Fly along the RR bed:
>>  http://www.flickr.com/photos/58321572@N00/2496833113/in/photostream/
> This is=A0Bombylius major.
>
>> A species of Tiger Beetle have been around our property for a few=20
>> days:
>>
>>  http://www.flickr.com/photos/58321572@N00/2496832855/in/photostream/
>>
> And this is indeed=A0Cicindela sexguttata. It's the only brilliant =
green=20
> species found in the region (although some individuals can have blue=20=

> or even bronze highlights,
>
> Cheers!
>
> Chris
>
> Christopher Majka
> Nova Scotia Museum, 1747 Summer St., Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada=A0 =
B3H=20
> 3A6
> c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-1-738297651

Hi Chris, Angus:   while looking for something else, I found a lot of
tiger beetles out today on rocks up above the tide line, along the
shore.   Overall brown with some metallic green specks (and metallic
green undersides), but under magnification has very distinctive creamy
markings on elytra, closely matching _Cicindela duodecimguttata_ on
Bugguide.net.   Nothing like Angus' pic. =20

Is _C. duodecimguttata_ a likely or common species in N.S. at this
date?

Steve, Halifax

 =20