[NatureNS] Forthcoming Buddhism and Physics public talk at King's

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:11:31 -0400

--Apple-Mail-102-1037708266
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

The History of Science and Technology Programme is very pleased to
present a
public lecture by Dr. Vic Mansfield, professor emeritus of physics at
Colgate
University.  His talk "Einstein and Quantum Nonlocality: a Doorway to
Buddhist Emptiness and Compassion" will take place Wednesday 12 March at
7:30-9:30 in Alumni Hall, University of King's College with reception
to follow
in the Senior Common Room.  A synopsis of the talk and brief bio of Dr.
Mansfield are beneath.  We hope to see you there.

"Einstein and Quantum Nonlocality: a Doorway to Buddhist Emptiness and
Compassion"

Einstein's most influential challenge to quantum theory revolved around
his
rejection of the lack of independent existence in quantum objects.  For
example, Einstein's biographer, the physicist Abraham Pais, wrote, "We
often
discussed his notions on objective reality.  I recall that during one
walk
Einstein suddenly stopped, turned to me, and asked whether I really
believed
that the moon exists only when I look at it."  Einstein's rejection of a
central feature of quantum mechanics (quantum object's lack of
independent
existence) ignited a debate about the philosophic foundation of science
that
lasted for a half century.  It culminated in what many consider the most
important finding since the advent of modern science: the famous
experiments
that conclusively revealed nonlocality in nature.  Now we know that
"quantum
moons" demonstrably do not exist when unobserved.  Such "experimental
metaphysics" has an extraordinarily detailed resonance with the Middle
Way
Buddhist principle of emptiness, the very heart of Buddhism.  What
Einstein
found to be the most vexing feature of quantum mechanics is, in the
eyes of
Middle Way Buddhists, the ultimate nature of reality and the foundation
for
universal compassion.  This talk assumes no technical background in
physics
or Buddhism.

Bio:  Vic Mansfield, professor emeritus of physics at Colgate
University,
has practiced and studied with spiritual leaders in the U.S., Europe,
and
India for more than four decades.  Along with teaching a wide range of
physics and astronomy courses, he taught a popular course on Tibetan
culture
and Buddhism for over two decades.  For several years, he also taught a
popular course on Jung's psychology.  He has written three
interdisciplinary
books and scores of papers.  His first book Synchronicity, Science, and
Soul-Making (Open Court, 1995) has been reprinted six times while his
most
recent book, Tibetan Buddhism and Modern Physics: Toward a Union of
Love and
Knowledge with an introduction by the Dalai Lama (Templeton Foundation
Press,
February 2008), will be translated into Tibetan and Chinese by the
Office of
His Holiness. Vic warmly invites you to his website at
www.lightlink.com/vic.

--
Jeffrey R. Wigelsworth, PhD
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellow

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-102-1037708266