[NatureNS] Owl Pellets and Rodent Surveys

Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 12:41:44 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_3652234==.ALT

Hi there,

         Those who were interested in the recent exchange about owl
pellets, as I was, will be intrigued by this recent post to the
Saskatchewan Bird List.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax
Subject: Wanted: owl nests
From: "Poulin, Ray TPCS" <rpoulin AT cyr.gov.sk.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:00:54 -0600

I am looking to recruit a small army of people that like birds.  The
Royal Saskatchewan museum is initiating a provincial wide survey of
Saskatchewan's small mammals.  Since humans tend to be terrible mouse
trappers I am looking to improve my odds by using the best mouse
trappers...owls!  As most of you know, a pair of Great Horned Owls (or
any other owl species) will consume hundreds or thousands of small
mammals each nesting season.  I am going to look through regurgitated
owl pellets to determine the species of small mammals they are catching.
I suspect that with the help of Saskatchewan's naturalist types that it
will not be too difficult to find hundreds of owl nests and thereby
identify tens of thousands of small mammals.

The hardest part of this job is finding lots of owl nests in lots of
different places.  I really hope to cover much of the southern half of
the province but I'm hoping we get the north represented too.  This is
where I would love to have your help.  If you see an active owl nest
(mostly great horned owls but any owls are good owls), could you please
send me a detailed note of its location.  My plan is simply to go visit
the nest once in June and collect the pellets...I will not be banding or
harassing or playing with the owls in anyway...I just want their puke!

I'm hoping to set up a webpage on the museum's website so stay tuned for
more advertising.

As the project progresses, I will be sure to keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Ray

--=====================_3652234==.ALT

Hi there,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Those who
were interested in the recent exchange about owl pellets, as I was, will
be intrigued by this recent post to the Saskatchewan Bird List.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
<b>
______________________________________________________________________________<br>
</b>From: &quot;Poulin, Ray TPCS&quot; &lt;rpoulin AT
cyr.gov.sk.ca&gt;<br>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:00:54 -0600<br><br>
<pre>I am looking to recruit a small army of people that like
birds.&nbsp; The
Royal Saskatchewan museum is initiating a provincial wide survey of
Saskatchewan's small mammals.&nbsp; Since humans tend to be terrible
mouse
trappers I am looking to improve my odds by using the best mouse
trappers...owls!&nbsp; As most of you know, a pair of Great Horned Owls
(or
any other owl species) will consume hundreds or thousands of small
mammals each nesting season.&nbsp; I am going to look through
regurgitated
owl pellets to determine the species of small mammals they are catching.
I suspect that with the help of Saskatchewan's naturalist types that it
will not be too difficult to find hundreds of owl nests and thereby
identify tens of thousands of small mammals.

The hardest part of this job is finding lots of owl nests in lots of
different places.&nbsp; I really hope to cover much of the southern half
of
the province but I'm hoping we get the north represented too.&nbsp; This
is
where I would love to have your help.&nbsp; If you see an active owl
nest
(mostly great horned owls but any owls are good owls), could you please
send me a detailed note of its location.&nbsp; My plan is simply to go