[NatureNS] Disinterest in nature -- another threat to birds

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:16:33 -0400
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: karenmckendry@wildmail.com

  number of immense re

--Boundary_(ID_EPzfvT4trz5tYgY0wGGOzA)

As responses to the nature-deprived habits of life Blake and Bob are referring to, over the past decade there have appeared lots of books that talk in particular about the plight of children who live in culture for which "web" first and foremost means the internet rather than a spider's construction. A few of these books include:
        The Geography of Childhood: Why Children Need Wild Places, ed. Gary Paul Nabhan & Stephen Trimble  (1994)
        Children and Nature, ed. Stephen Kellert & Peter Kahn (2002)
        Father Nature: Fathers as Guides to the Natural World, ed. Paul S. Piper & Stan Tag (2003)
        Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder, Richard Louv (2005)
    It's a sign of our times that such books are becoming so common.

Brian