[NatureNS] Disinterest in nature -- another threat to birds

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:40:40 -0400
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_9GI6iW9QEjIJ1waEORkw8g)

What a cheerful note to start the day!!

Of course, many (most?) of our fellow citizens are not particularly interested in Nature, but there is nothing new here.  Wendy and I did a lot of camping in our younger years, beginning in the early 70's, and the focus of many of our activities was the observation of nature - wildflowers, mammals and, of course, birds.  On rising early to take a walk around the campsite or further afield, I very seldom met anyone who had similar interests.  We travelled across Canada in 1981 and back in 1982, camping all the way.  It was the same story - we met few people with a passion, or even an interest, in Nature.

This makes it even more imperative for those of us who care about Nature to do everything we can to protect it.  It is also the responsibility of naturalists to educate those who are ignorant in terms of natural history and who want to learn more.

Cheers,

Bob McDonald