[NatureNS] Gulls, scaup, etc., Point Pleasant Park, Halifax

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:29:49 -0400
From: iamclar@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Inspired by Berice Moores, I took a swing around PP Park this aft. No longspur
found, but there were eight Pine Grosbeaks feeding on the exposed
foreshore. I've seen more of these foraging for seeds of late - no
berries left after the
Bohemian hordes?

There were also about 45 Iceland ("Kumlien's") Gulls at the NW Arm sewaer
outflow, along with 20-odd Herring Gulls and 120(!) Am. Black Ducks, plus the
usual nearby flock of scaup, about 70, just a few Lessers as far as I could
make out. The "Kumlien's" were a nice study, with some appraching Thayer's in
wingtip pattern.

Nearer the Bonaventure Memorial there was a single Purple Sandpiper on an
exposed rock. A couple of the young male Com. Eiders  feeding there close
inshore had pretty thin frontal lobes, like the northern subsp. _borealis_.

Cheers, Ian McLaren

Quoting Bernice Moores