[NatureNS] Comet Holmes

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:10:48 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Formerly, the Sun was the largest object in the Solar System. Now,
comet 17P/Holmes holds that distinction. This is a claim made by a
team at the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope facility. And we had a
ring side seat as we watched the event unfold (Oct 24th to present).
NEAT!
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/faculty/jewitt/holmes.html

Certainly this is true considering overall diameter of object;
certainly not, when considering overall mass. The Sun still holds
first place for that, by far. The last clear night observing, the
comet was quite beautiful in my 10 inch reflecting telescope (96X).
It was adorned with numerous stars (well off in the background)
shining through its wispy envelope of dust. Comet Holmes is
positioned in a section of the Milky Way which has a higher density
of background stars.

Also for a recent wide field photo I took of the comet in Perseus
http://web.mac.com/sherm39/iWeb/Site/home.html

Sherm

Sherman Williams
shermw@xcountry.tv