[NatureNS] Raccoons and feeders

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:04:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Eleanor;

I think you may be sending mixed messages to your
unwelcome visitor.

On the one hand, you're putting out bird feeders,
which the raccoon has assumed are for him (her?), and
then you're taking them away before he's finished!

This is the time of year when raccoons are "bulking
up" for winter.

Understanding the problem is still no solution.  You
now have to decide what to do:

a) Take the feeders in much earlier; or
b) Leave a small pile of seeds for the raccoon a short
distance from the feeders.

I've found the raccoons around my place stopped
destroying my feeders when I left something on the
ground for them.  They quickly identified "their"
feeding station.

A lot of people don't agree with this solution.  I've
had dire warnings from neighbours and my own family
that if I give them an inch they'll take a mile!

But that didn't happen.  I've had whole families of
raccoons on my deck waiting for supper in the spot
where I put dry cat food out for them - and leaving my
feeders alone.

Cheers;
Suzanne