[NatureNS] Raccoons and feeders

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:52:54 -0400
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

At 03:04 PM 11/13/2007, Suzanne Borkowski wrote:
>I think you may be sending mixed messages to your
>unwelcome visitor.
>On the one hand, you're putting out bird feeders,
>which the raccoon has assumed are for him (her?), and
>then you're taking them away before he's finished!

This is my first post to the list but I feel I can add something of
value to this discussion: there are some fairly simple, cheap ways to
keep raccoons and squirrels off of feeders.

 From August '97 until September of this year I managed a biology
station for the University of Texas at Austin and had many kinds of
critters visit the feed stations -- but only raccoons did so
destructively. So I devised some fairly straightforward -- if not
particularly pretty -- contraptions to keep them off. I wrote a
nature column for the local paper there (Smithville Times in
Smithville, TX, about 80 km from Austin) and archived the columns so
interested people can see photos and descriptions of the contraptions
at http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/philjs/stengl/LPNN/pdf/LPNN39.pdf (for
pole-mounted feeders) and
http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/philjs/stengl/LPNN/pdf/LPNN40.pdf (for
hanging feeders).

Hope these ideas can help someone...

Phil

PS: To see all of the columns, visit
http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/philjs/stengl/LPNN/

--

Dr. Phil Schappert

2-2523 Sherwood St
Halifax, NS Canada, B3L 3G9
Home: 902-404-5679
Cell: 902-222-0865

PhilJS@eastlink.ca
DrPhil@philschappert.com

http://www.philschappert.com
http://www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                                     Michael Hedges