[NatureNS] Tar spots mar Norway maples -- The Advertiser (King's

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:55:10 -0300
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

    We had occasion recently to do some walking around Berlin St in
peninsular Halifax.  The number of affected leaves was remarkable - I would
say that the incidence among the street trees (all Norway Maples) is > 90%.
The one or two native Red Maples which we saw were, thankfully, unaffected.
Actually I had never noticed these "tar" spots before but perhaps it is an
annual occurrence.
There are also many Norway Maples planted as street trees in our area of
mainland Halifax (Clayton Park West) but none of these are affected, yet.

We recently attended a public forum which focussed on "The Urban Forest".
John Simmons, the HRM forester,  indicated at that meeting that HRM has not
planted Norway Maples for many years and it is no longer on the list of
acceptable street trees.  Presumably the damage has already been done!
As a short aside, one of our street trees was recently replaced in spring
2007 and the tag on it indicates that is Phellodendron amurense, a species
found in Asia.  The common name is Amur Cork and in locations to the south
(New England) it appears to be a rather invasive species.  One wonders how
decisions regarding 'acceptable" street tress are made?  A dart-board.....?

Cheers (?),

Bob McDonald