[NatureNS] Tar spots mar Norway maples

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:53:09 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Steve & All,                Oct 17, 2007
    Milky leaf sap is a quick way to distinguish Norway Maple from
look-alikes. During the growing season, a Norway Maple leaf petiole base
will 'bleed' copious milky sap if the leaf is bent back so that the
petiole breaks away from the stem at the abscission layer.

    I just checked our leaves and about 1/3 of them will still bleed
faintly; as white dots (that can be brushed away) where the vascular
bundles are.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville