FW: [NatureNS] Mudpuppy

Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:05:24 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>, Fred Scott <fwscott@eastlink.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_UAxOdtfp1CzV+3H0QM6GIg)

Nellie and Chris, I can add a bit here.  Since the external gills were
noted, but not size etc., our native salamanders all have external gills
when they are larvae in the water -- the EXCEPTION to this would be the
RED-BACKED SALAMANDER, which is totally terrestrial and passes through the
externally-gilled stage IN THE EGG before hatching as a miniature adult.
That said, the gilled larvae of newts and four-toed salamanders are quite
small and unlikely to be noticed while larvae.  But the YELLOW-SPOTTED and
BLUE-SPOTTED SALAMANDERS (former are much more widespread) have aquatic
gilled larvae that are mud-puppy-coloured (grayish-olive-brownish) and get
up to (guessing) 5 cm. or 2 inches long or so before losing their gills in
transforming into terrestrial juveniles.

Thus my guess is that Nellie's acquaintance noticed larvae of yellow-spotte=
salamanders -- depending on the water temperature where the eggs were laid,
such larvae may transform in late summer or autumn or overwinter and
transform when a year old.

Also, anyone who has ever seen a mud puppy would never mistake a red-spotte=
newt for one -- besides the lack of external gills, the size and shape are
all wrong.

Perhaps John Gilhen can add something to this.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville