[NatureNS] intermedius Lesser Black-backed Gull

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:45:03 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_53472_8808278.1190673903238

Hi Luke,

I have seen the occasional LBBG with a darker than usual mantle, and others
(e.g. Eric Mills) have reported them. I'm always a bit leery of calling them
intermedius, because of the variation in mantle shades of graelsii and
"dutch intergrades". There has also been some talk of "splitting fuscus from
the other 2. I don't know if anyone has claimed that one for NS. I have just
ordered the new gull book on line, and I'll have to see what it says about
all this. I might get a chance to go to Grand Pre tomorrow - where were the
gulls?

BTW, I forgot to mention that there was a grealsii LBBG at Pond Cove on
Brier on Sat., and there may have been another LBBG at Tiverton yesterday,
but the observers were unable to get a good look.

Richard

On 9/24/07, Luke DeCicco <akswallow@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> This afternoon (24 September 2007) down near Grand Pre in a plowed corn
> field I had two Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  One was of the subspecies
> graellsii and the other was significantly darker and apparently of the
> subspecies intermedius.  The gray on the back was just barely lighter than
> the black in the primaries, this bird appeared to be an adult, or at least
> third-winter bird at the youngest.  What is the history of intermedius
> LBBG
> in Nova Scotia?  I don't have a camera as of now, but I may be able to
> borrow one and get pictures later on in the week.
> Bird on,
> Luke DeCicco
> Acadia

> Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger
> Caf=E9. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=3DTXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline1

--=20
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,
70 Exhibition St.
Kentville, NS, Canada
B4N 4K9

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

------=_Part_53472_8808278.1190673903238

Hi Luke,<br><br>I have seen the occasional LBBG with a darker than usual ma=
ntle, and others (e.g. Eric Mills) have reported them. I&#39;m always a bit=
 leery of calling them intermedius, because of the variation in mantle shad=
es of graelsii and &quot;dutch intergrades&quot;. There has also been some =
talk of &quot;splitting fuscus from the other 2. I don&#39;t know if anyone=
 has claimed that one for NS. I have just ordered the new gull book on line=
, and I&#39;ll have to see what it says about all this. I might get a chanc=
e to go to Grand Pre tomorrow - where were the gulls?
e on Brier on Sat., and there may have been another LBBG at Tiverton yester=
me">Luke DeCicco</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:akswallow@hotmail.com">akswallow=
@hotmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">
Hello all,<br>This afternoon (24 September 2007) down near Grand Pre in a p=
lowed corn<br>field I had two Lesser Black-backed Gulls.&nbsp;&nbsp;One was=
 of the subspecies<br>graellsii and the other was significantly darker and =
apparently of the
 lighter than<br>the black in the primaries, this bird appeared to be an ad=
ult, or at least a<br>third-winter bird at the youngest.&nbsp;&nbsp;What is=
 the history of intermedius LBBG
ay be able to<br>borrow one and get pictures later on in the week.<br>Bird =
tagline1"><font color=3D"red"><b>MailScanner has detected a possible fraud =
attempt from "www.cafemessenger.com" claiming to be</b></font> http://www.c=
.Richard Stern,&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>70 Exhibition St.<br>Kentville, NS, Canada<=
NS, Canada
mpatico.ca</a><br><a href=3D"mailto:rbstern@xcountry.tv">rbstern@xcountry.t=
v</a><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</=
a>