[NatureNS] Ontario Birds

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:59:59 -0400
From: Ian Woodman <calicoangus@primus.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--B_3273393600_9804761

Hi James

Did you get your knuckles rapped for personal observations about your trip?
Hmmm....

If you think Ontbirds is bad now you are lucky you weren=B9t subscribed four
or five years ago. Personal attacks abounded between birders with truly
personally vitriolic posts all too common. One member who is dyslexic was
berated several times for his poor spelling. In the past year since I
rejoined Ontbirds I=B9ve only see posts from him twice. I found out about a
lot of great birds because of him even if it was a little hard to decipher
his posts....was always worth the effort.

I suspect the difference between the two sites correlates to the known
friendliness of Maritimers. I=B9m looking forward to my visit to Nova Scotia
next month.

Take heart, thankfully the birders I=B9ve met around Ontario are not of the
same ilk, as I hope you discovered on your trip here.

And thanks again for all your help in finding info about birding Nova
Scotia.

Ian Woodman
Toronto, Ontario
Soon to visit Nova Scotia
calicoangus@primus.ca

On 9/23/07 11:33 AM, "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
> =20
> It will be nice to get back to NS again to Naturens and the Rare Bird Ale=
rt.
> I hope that both of these sites continue as they are and do not go the wa=
y of
> Ontario Birds.  The list administrator for Ontario Birds is not a very ni=
ce
> person.  Everyone else is great though.  The site itself has become very =
cold,
> structured and impersonable.  At least this is my impression of it over t=
he
> past two years or so.  I do not believe that the list person is friendly =
> birders outside of Ontario.  This is my impression only and I could be wr=
ong.
> In terms of their structure you only list the bird and directions and not=
hing
> else.  It has to be a rare bird and if not woo unto the lister.  Large
> movements of birds and other such sightings which we find relevant and mi=
ght
> produce something good are frowned upon on the Ontario list.
> =20
> I would say about 85 percent violate the terms of the list, but nothing i=
> said to Ontario birders.  Likely most do not post important things and ma=
ny
> observations and good birds are missed.  Well have to go and hope all is =
well
> with everyone in NS.
> =20
> James R. Hirtle
> Dublin Shore
> Currently visiting Ontario
>=20
>=20
> Explore the seven wonders of the world Learn more!
> <http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=3D7+wonders+world&mkt=3Den-US&form=3DQBRE=

--B_3273393600_9804761

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [NatureNS] Ontario Birds</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Hi James<BR>
<BR>
Did you get your knuckles rapped for personal observations about your trip?=
 Hmmm....<BR>
<BR>
If you think Ontbirds is bad now you are lucky you weren&#8217;t subscribed=
 four or five years ago. Personal attacks abounded between birders with trul=
y personally vitriolic posts all too common. One member who is dyslexic was =
berated several times for his poor spelling. In the past year since I rejoin=
ed Ontbirds I&#8217;ve only see posts from him twice. I found out about a lo=
t of great birds because of him even if it was a little hard to decipher his=
 posts....was always worth the effort.<BR>
<BR>
I suspect the difference between the two sites correlates to the known frie=
ndliness of Maritimers. I&#8217;m looking forward to my visit to Nova Scotia=
 next month.<BR>
<BR>
Take heart, thankfully the birders I&#8217;ve met around Ontario are <U>not=
</U> of the same ilk, as I hope you discovered on your trip here.<BR>
<BR>
And thanks again for all your help in finding info about birding Nova Scoti=
a.<BR>
<BR>
Ian Woodman<BR>
Toronto, Ontario<BR>
Soon to visit Nova Scotia<BR>
calicoangus@primus.ca<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 9/23/07 11:33 AM, &quot;James Hirtle&quot; &lt;jrhbirder@hotmail.com&gt;=
 wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0p=
x'>Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
It will be nice to get back to NS again to Naturens and the Rare Bird Alert=
. &nbsp;I hope that both of these sites continue as they are and do not go t=
he way of Ontario Birds. &nbsp;The list administrator for Ontario Birds is n=
ot a very nice person. &nbsp;Everyone else is great though. &nbsp;The site i=
tself has become very cold, structured and impersonable. &nbsp;At least this=
 is my impression of it over the past two years or so. &nbsp;I do not believ=
e that the list person is friendly to birders outside of Ontario. &nbsp;This=
 is my impression only and I could be wrong. &nbsp;In terms of their structu=
re you only list the bird and directions and nothing else. &nbsp;It has to b=
e a rare bird and if not woo unto the lister. &nbsp;Large movements of birds=
 and other such sightings which we find relevant and might produce something=
 good are frowned upon on the Ontario list. &nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I would say about 85 percent violate the terms of the list, but nothing is =
said to Ontario birders. &nbsp;Likely most do not post important things and =
many observations and good birds are missed. &nbsp;Well have to go and hope =
all is well with everyone in NS.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR>
Currently visiting Ontario<BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"100%">Explore the seven wonders of the wor=
ld Learn more! <a href=3D"http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=3D7+wonders+world=
&mkt=3Den-US&form=3DQBRE">&lt;http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=3D7+wonders+wor=
ld&amp;mkt=3Den-US&amp;form=3DQBRE&gt;</a> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0=
px'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>