[NatureNS] Buckthorn

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:44:00 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

> "(Rhamnus frangula) The bark and leaves of the Alder Buckthorn yield a
> yellow dye much used in Russia; when mixed with salts of iron it turns
> black. The berries, when unripe, afford a good green colour, readily
> taken by woollen stuffs; when ripe, they give various shades of blue
> and grey. After removal of the bark from the stem and branches, the
> wood of this shrub is used for making charcoal, yielding a very light,
> inflammable kind, and being on that account preferred to that of
> almost any other tree by gunpowder makers, who name it 'Black
> Dogwood.' In Germany, for the same reason, it is called Pulverholz
> ('powder-wood')." - Herbs2000.com

Hi Chris, Bev & All,            Sept 14, 2007
    Thanks for the dye information- lots of variations indicative of
extensive use. But the Pulverholz is especially interesting and may be
the real reason that R. frangula came across early. .

    I notice that I incorrectly called R. frangula Common Buckthorn (it
is by far the common one here) whereas I should have said Alder
Buckthorn as opposed, on the other hand, to Alder-leaved Buckthorn which
is R. alnifolia.
Yt, DW