[NatureNS] Re: Possible Selasphorus hummingbird, Lockeport - not

Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:04:26 -0300
From: iamclar@dal.ca
To: iamclar@dal.ca
Cc: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Eric Mills and I checked out the Lockeport hummer yesterday - coming to
a feeder
in Donna Crosby's beautiful flower garden, a magnet for hummers - and
concluded
that it was a young male Ruby-throated, with quite richly buffy sides.
This one also had a Ruby-throated, not Rufous-toned, developing red
patch on the
lower throat.

As we learned from last year's twitch of the Blallantyne Cove hummer in early
December, there are several things to watch for on young male hummers
that have
buffy or even rufous sides, and as we saw last year, can even have cinnamon
tones on the tail.  Young male Ruby-throateds have a "raccoon-like" mask, and
Selasphorus don't.  Young male Ruby-throateds, if they have throat
spotting, it
is very fine, whereas Rufous tends to develop more coarse markings. Any
hint of
rufous on the green of the back, of course, is good for Rufous. Above
all, look
for solid ri\ufous on tail.

Cheers, Ian

Quoting iamclar@dal.ca: